Shortly after I moved here, I began mentoring. Our church contributes to this mentoring program called Adopt-A-School. I figured volunteering would be a good way to network a little bit and give me something to do. The mentors are paired up with an "at risk" mentee. I was assigned to a Sophomore at a high school in Raleigh. Once a week I bring Johanna lunch and we eat and talk.
Johanna is 17 and lives in Raleigh. She likes dancing, socializing, boys, and basketball. She is a manager for the girls varsity basketball team. She has been working extra hard during high school to graduate a year early...THIS YEAR.
It's been such a joy for me to get to be a part of her life. The girl is DRAMA but she's sweet and has a kind heart. I wish her parents were more present because she just needs a little guidance and encouragement and she'd be just the same as you and me.
They introduced the seniors at a basketball game this year and she asked me to come. I came and brought a cheering section; mom, dad, London, and Kinley. Once we arrived, I learned we were the only ones coming. Johanna's biological father lives in Puerto Rico and isn't a part of her life. Her mother was supposed to come and didn't feel like coming when the time came...so she didn't. Can you imagine? When things like this happen to sweet Johanna, it breaks my heart.
Anyway, this is Johanna...and I just love her!
my resolution that undid my other resolution
12 years ago


3 comments:
Macy- This breaks my heart too. I know you had been a great role model for her. Honestly, you have probably changed her life forever. I am so proud of you for mentoring.
so nice of you to go and bring the peeps...I bet she was so happy to have you there
"A faithful friend is a strong defense, and he that hath found such a one hath found a treasure"
Post a Comment