So when I moved here to Wake Forest, I had plans to go to grad school but first and foremost, to relax. Well slowly but surely I have been researching grad programs and schools. I found one I thought I liked and was on the fast track to enroll and start. Then I got a little freaked out and thought it might not be the perfect program for me.
So I thought I'd run you through my options and get your opinions because I'm having a really hard time. I can't decide what to do from here. None of the programs around here seem to be the perfect fit for me. I've looked around for a job and can't find a match there either. I know these are tough times but I think it's just me...
1. NC State- Human Development & Family Studies-Family Life & Parent Educ
So this was the original plan for me. I lack 3 letters of Rec and my personal statement to be fully accepted. I've applied as a non-degree student and could start classes in January! The program is great because it only requires 32 hours and offers a bunch of the classes online. I could finish in 2 years, easy. With this degree I'm afraid my only available job options are going to be in social work...which I want to stay away from. There isn't enough opportunity out there that requires this degree. And social work stinks. Too depressing and not enough moolah=little reward. School is 30 min away.
2. Southwestern Baptist Theological Seminary- Master of Arts in Christian Counseling
So this sound really cool right? I think I'd love counseling and making my own schedule is ideal. The down side of this is that it's a 92 hour program. Holy Schooling! I just finished my 120+ undergrad degree and to think about taking on another 92 hour program is super depressing. Plus 92 hours to only come out with a masters...lame. They require 32 core hours of like biblical studies, and beyond that it's a bunch of ethics, spiritual, and psych classes. So options post-graduation = working at church or private practice. I'd prefer private practice but then I'd got no benefits. But the school is like right down the road, definitely the closest from home compared to the others.
3. UNC- They offer a couple different somewhat interesting masters programs. A Rehabilitation Counseling and Psychology degree and Maternal and Child Health, ehh some others. Here check them out if you are curious: http://gradschool.unc.edu/programs/degreeprograms.html. I'm sick of research. Ok so this school is 45 min away. And I'm not crazy about anything they have to offer really.
4. ECU-ehh they've got something I guess. I'm not sure why this is actually an option for me though because its an hour and a half away. I think mom dreams of me cheering and going to grad school here but what I keep coming back to is free child care. Mom=the best free child care out there. Mom is here, school is there...so mark this one off the list.
Ok so there is is. Depressing huh? I'm tired of thinking about it too. Someone just decide for me, finish the applications and sign me up. Thanks!
No but seriously, please pray for me. I'm stuck here. I've really enjoyed my "time off" but I can't live like this forever. I need to have a a commitment, a schedule, a purpose. Help me!
my resolution that undid my other resolution
12 years ago


4 comments:
Praying for you, Mace...and BRAINSTORMING!! This is one thing I'm good at.
I have no idea what to tell you, besides I will be praying for you. Love you tons and tons!!
So here's your non-go-getter, took me 6 years to get my undergrad, and I'm doing a job that doesn't even require a HS diploma OPINION: don't start yet- you will only waste time and money and you may not even like it...wait until you are sure about what you want to do. Give yourself another semester to decide- you can always start in the summer if you want...I know it's not that easy and Not doing anything always makes me feel Very discontent with my life-so I hope a plan comes to your mind that excites and relaxes you!..sounds great huh?!?! I'm too much like Mom.....dreeeeeeeaaam. Dream. Dream. Dream. Dream. Dreeeeeeeaaam. I'm praying for you!
PS. My verification word to make a comment is a bad word...haha
haha hilarious Linc, but thanks. I think that's sounding better and better...for lack of a better plan.
Thanks Hannah & Jade
Post a Comment