slideshow header

header3

Sunday, November 15, 2009

Providence?

So when I moved up here, everyone told me Providence Baptist Church was where I needed to be. "They have huge college and singles groups and it's the cool place for young adults to be," they said. So I visited.

1st visit:
On my first visit, I went with the family. And by family I mean my parents. I prefer family instead of parents because, well I just do ok. Ok so I didn't know how to get there and thought the family support would be helpful. We went to the worship service because of course, we were late and I didn't want to walk into a Sunday school class full of strangers, fully engaged on what was going on...me walking in late. I took Kinley to her class because she almost always prefers to play with friends and not have to sit and be quiet in boring ol' church... So worship is my favorite part of church and they didn't sing a single song I knew. And I listen to christian music regularly so that was a bummer. Although, mom said they played one song I would have known at the beginning that I missed while I was dropping off Kinley. But the service as a whole was nice, I guess. I decided I'd go back and try an early to mid-20's singles Sunday school.

2nd visit:
I had the family support again. This time just mom thought. She was going to walk me to my class. But this time we were really late and I refused. But we walked by and saw the room I would be in and so that was good. I'd know exactly where to go next Sunday. Room 637.

3rd visit:
This time I left the rents at home. I dropped Kinley off at her class. And confidently made my way to Rm 637. Went in, found an empty seat in the back left corner (crossing the fewest number of people/eyes) and sat. A girl came and introduced herself to me and even moved her stuff to sit by me. Shes looking for a job. That was nice, wasn't crazy about the lesson or the teacher. Picked up Kinley, a boy pushed her...Great, how nice.

4th visit:
So this time I sat by myself. It was fine though. That girl did say hi during the meet and greet part of class. She got a job! No one pushed Kinley!

5th visit:
London and Jared came in town for the state fair and I got to go to the college group with them!!! Best time at church in NC I had had yet! Yes, I felt a little bit out of place being out of college but I didn't sit by myself, met some of their friends, I liked it! Too bad I'm out of college. No one pushed Kinley and they got to play outside!

6th visit:
Back to singles, we split into groups this Sunday. The teacher, Mike, (yes I learned his name, it was my 3rd time to the class) divided us by birthday. Luckily, I didn't have to even move from my corner seat in the back. We circled up, a whole group of people I didn't know. Sweet. But I liked the lesson that day and that counts for something. No one pushed Kinley, but they didn't play outside.

7th visit, Today:
This Sunday Mike introduced himself to me, asked if I always sat in the back corner alone, I said yes. The girl talked to me again, she starts work Tuesday. As soon as Kinley walked out of class she said, "no one pushed me today!" No she didn't forget about her third visit either, dumb little boy. Too wet to play outside :( Later, Mike asked me to be his friend on Facebook. I accepted.

So there you have it, the history of my Providence experience. I said at the beginning I'd give it 3 visits before I decided on staying there or trying a new church...Now I can't decide. Ugh. Your thoughts?!

1 comment:

Suzie said...

You are doing great Macy! Hang in there and the Lord will bring you friends that deserve your time and will brig joy to your life! Just keep on going. Trust in Him to take care of you and your daughter!
I sure do love you! mom