slideshow header

header3

Monday, November 9, 2009

Bug

Kinley has caught this terrible bad behavior illness that is really getting old. I don't know where that creepy crawler caught up with her or which contagious little bug out there decided to share but Kinley caught it and it's bad. In attempt to shake her from this mother-destructing disease I came up with a cure... A schedule!

I thought perhaps if something more was consuming her time, she might spend more time at that and less time telling me "no" and doing the opposite as I say. Good plan huh? So this was the schedule we would adapt to in order to make our day run smoothly:

wake up,
eat breakfast,
watch 1 TV show,
make bed,
brush teeth,
get dressed.

I'm not sure my cure cleared that bug all up but it did have a positive effect on me! I got up and got dressed and was motivated to leave the house...without Kinley for a change.

So I have been tinkering around with the idea of finding a part-time job. Nothing too serious, just something to get me out of the house every once in a while. Something to keep me sane while maybe bringing in a little tiny something too. About 4 days ago I got an e-mail from Gymboree that said some of their locations were hiring seasonal help. I though about this a few days before deciding that I should apply.

I thought, "I'm not in school, I'm not busy, I don't want to commit to a full time job, I could use some extra money, I am trying to write a book and study for the GRE right now but I still have free time, I like Gymboree, I like shopping there for Kinley, I like baby clothes, I like that the store is organized and kept fairly tidy and I this might actually be just the thing I need right now."

So off to Gymboree I went! I got an application and will turn it in tomorrow to Cindy the manager I was told would be in. Good for me huh?! Well it felt so good to seek that job I was, for some reason, motivated to walk into a dinners-to-go/wine store, introduce myself to the lady I had met only once before as a customer, and give the following monologue:

"Hi there you were just the person I was coming to talk to. I'm Macy Thomas, a neighbor across the street from your friend, Diane. Well, she told me you might be looking for someone to hire to help with wine tastings. I know absolutely nothing about wine but I wanted to leave my number in case you got desperate or just needed an extra set of hands in the near future. I'm not starting school until the fall and don't do much now and would love to help you out if you ever needed me."

Boy, was I brave or what?! The sweet lady just smiled and nodded at me the entire time I was talking...which seeing it written out now looks like an entire speech but I assure you it came out very quickly as my nerves have a tendency take over resulting in me talking at a rapid pace.

Well, she told me her bartender will be out about once a month and when the business picks up for the holidays, I'd be the first person she calls to help with wine tastings. She even said Diane mentioned me and that she meant to get my name and number from Diane but forgot. Who knows if it's true or if she'll ever call but how exciting is that?! Two perspective, non-commitment jobs in one day!

I admit I was feeling pretty good about myself after the Gymboree trip but I must confess that there was something else that happened, boosting my courage for the performance in the wine store.

So as I was on my way there my phone rang. A number I didn't recognize. I answered anyway and it was a lady from AuthorHouse, a publishing company I found online last night and requested information from. She asked me what type of book I was writing and told her it was a complicated story about a teenage pregnancy, mormon boyfriend and newborn baby so maybe a biography/fiction book but it didn't really fit one category. She then asked me if I wanted it in hardback or paperback. Ha!! Can you believe that?! Way to put things into perspective (or skew reality but go with me here for a second)...my book, my words, my story and this lady's second question for me was hardback or paperback. Oh.My.Goodness. This could actually really happen!!!!! I was taken aback but quickly regained composure and told her I was still in the very beginning stages and hadn't even thought about it but answered, "maybe both." She was interested in what I had to say (write) and wanted to help! I'm sure she was just desperate for the business but lets don't crush my dreams and naiveness here just yet OK.

So needless to say, I have a new found motivation in life. Well, maybe not something as drastic as that, but I had a pretty rewarding day today and now have some things to follow up on.

Thank you Kinley for your bad behavior bug. ;)

4 comments:

Hannah said...

and thank you, Macy, for a good early-morning laugh while I should be studying! my suggestion, don't get a job or go to grad school so you and Kin can come play when I move to SC next fall :) ok, worst suggestion ever, sorry.

Whitney O'Neal said...

I am very excited for you. You are a great writer. Go for it!!!

Lady Harris said...

how cool!!!!!! EXCITING!! that's awesome!! wow!!
YOU GO GIRL!

Jade said...

Hey macy! That's awesome! I cannot wait to hear how all of these opportunities pan out. I love ya!

P.S. You are hilarious! Thanks for the laughs.