slideshow header

header3

Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Soccer



Kinley completed her last soccer practice a week ago today. I signed her up for an 8-week session of Turf Tikes Soccer. She loved it! She danced back in Arlington and loved that but since I'm still looking for a full-time job here and the funds are limited, I figured soccer for Kinley would be a great activity for her for a number a reasons. Here are some pros of our Soccer experience:
  • Soccer is much cheaper than dance. No $120 dollar costume fee, recital fee or anything like that.
  • Unlike at dance, at soccer practice they run, run, run. Anyone who knows Kinley can see how this would be beneficial for all of those involved -- Coach, player, mom...mom especially.
  • Kinley was the only girl. Yes, she noticed and it didn't bother her one bit. In fact, at the end of every practice Kinley was the first to get a stamp every time!
  • Soccer moms are a bit like dance moms...in the know about EVERYTHING. I learned the latest and greatest about all sports programs, preschools, kids, movies, toys, games etc. You can officially consider me -- in the know.
I did run into a bit of a mishap that is worthy of being shared. Here is a little bit of background about the soccer program Kinley was in. It was a beginners 8-week non-competitive developmental soccer league for 3-4 year olds. They played no games but simply worked on coordination, motor skills, listening skills, teamwork, that kind of stuff. There were 4 other boys in her class, again, she was the only girl.

After the first couple weeks, two of the boys weren't really doing what Coach Brooks said to do. The problem was that these boys were causing another little boy Ryan, to follow his peers and not follow Coach Brooks. Now, we all understand that these are 3 & 4 year old boys but this was a class and it shouldn't be a free-for-all. When this occurred, each time Coach Brooks would correct the behavior and encourage the students to come back and participate with the group. Ryan's mom had a big problem with the disruptive boys. Anytime Ryan wasn't following directions, she would yell from the bleachers, "RYAN, YOU'RE GOING TO BE IN BIG TROUBLE WITH DAD IF YOU DON'T DO WHAT COACH BROOKS SAYS!!!" Or something to that extent. Disruptive, obnoxious, annoying? YES. But the other yapping mothers who weren't even watching their problem kids disrupt class and cause others (Ryan, not Kinley of course) to follow were the bigger problem.

So parents, I encourage you to watch and observe from the bleachers instead of letting your social hour take up residence as #1 priority at soccer practice, neglecting to step in as a mother when necessary. When you see mothers like Ryan's mom getting antsy and giving you evil looks and rolling her eyes at you, stop to think for a second if your child is the problem out on the field. It is not the coaches job to discipline your child when he doesn't follow directions at that age, it is your job as a parent.

In no way am I suggesting that Ryan's mothers behavior was appropriate or even acceptable but the point is, she stepped in when she needed to. I'd probably suggest doing something a little less intrusive and disruptive as there is still a practice going on for those students who are doing what they are supposed to (Kinley).

While I'm at it, I must say Kinley was the best one out there! Not based on physical skills necessarily, but she was the only one who week after week, always did what Coach Brooks asked. She never once acted out or got distracted by the boys who couldn't pay attention or obey. Way to go Kinley for being the best little player out there!!

She got a medal at the end of the session last week. It's hanging up on her bulletin board in her room. Atta girl Kin!

3 comments:

Lady Harris said...

Yay for Kinley!!! Best Soccer Player ever! I wish I could have seen her play- but maybe I will next year!!!!! miss you and Kin!

Hannah said...

WOO KINLEY! Kin, I played soccer when I was 5 and there were only 2 girls on the whole team! I always cried and hid under the bleachers at practice so you're WAY more brave and talented than I was! Way to go! I can't wait to see what other sports you love!

Jade said...

I am so proud of my little KP! I wish I could have seen her out there. I am sure she is the best soccer player ever! Miss and love you shuggie!